The First Nations Public Service Secretariat (FNPSS), the First Nations Summit (FNS) and the British Columbia Federal Council (BCFC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in June 2019 to formalize their commitment to working together to enhance public service development for BC First Nations communities and representatives of federal departments through horizontal exchange of tools and experience that will allow for significant two-way learning.
The BCFC is comprised of 45 senior federal executive members that represent 43 federal departments, agencies and organizations that conduct federal government business in BC.
- Canada Coast Guard
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canada School of Public Service
- Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Indigenous Services Canada
- Ministry of Justice- British Columbia Regional Office
- Parks Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada
- Public Service Commission of Canada
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- Service Canada
- Transport Canada
- Western Economic Diversification
- Statistics Canada- Western Region and Northern Territories
- Natural Resources Canada
The MOU represents a commitment between the FNPSS, FNS, the BCFC, and signatories from the following 17 federal departments towards mutual collaboration and support:
MOU Goals and Objectives
- Sharing best practices in public administration;
- Arranging short-term exchange visits/study tours;
- Facilitating mentorship and/or job shadowing opportunities;
- Jointly hosting learning events, as appropriate, to facilitate knowledge exchange, drawing on existing in-kind resources and programs; and
- Committing to working horizontally to capture the expertise and specialized knowledge of various federal departments, as appropriate.
The FNPSS, FNS, and BCFC intend to create a consolidated GOC Program List to share with First Nations Band Administrators in BC, launch a pilot exchange program between Regional Federal Departments and First Nations communities/organizations, and support Indigenous internship opportunities in the federal government and First Nation administrations.
Fully signed MOU: FNPSS-FNS-BCFC MOU